Dallas Architecture Tours & Attractions

From glass and steel cloudbusters to intimate, turn of the century clock towers, Dallas/Fort Worth & Beyond is home to a wide array of architectural marvels. Step into a Romanesque style courthouse in downtown Dallas. Take in the Art Deco architecture at Fair Park. Or soak up the awe-inspiring sites inside the world-renowned Bass Concert Hall in Fort Worth. Whether you’re desperate for dormers or craving Corinthian, this is the perfect excursion for you.

Ellis County Courthouse

Built in 1895, is listed in the top 100 most photographed structures in the state of Texas, featuring Richardson Romanesque architectural style.

100 W. Main Street
Waxahachie, Texas

Fair Park Dallas

Fair Park was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1986 because of its exceptional significance in American history. It is home to an extraordinary collection of 1930s Art Deco art and architecture. From the mysterious Woofus statue to the beautifully restored murals and gold-leafed eagle atop the Tower Building, the treasures of the past are an awe-inspiring treat for visitors of today

Fair Park is also home to the State Fair of Texas as well as home to 8 museums – African American Museum, Dallas Aquarium, Museum of the American Railroad, Museum of Nature & Science, Hall of State, Texas Discovery Gardens, Texas Vietnam Veteran’s Memorial, and The Women’s Museum.

1300 Robert B. Cullum Blvd. at Grand
Dallas, Texas 75210
(214) 670-8400
(214) 670-0265

Bass Performance Hall

The Bass Performance Hall was named “one of the top 10 opera houses in the world” by Travel + Leisure. The crown jewel of downtown Fort Worth is named after Nancy Lee and Perry R. Bass. This acclaimed, multi-purpose facility is the permanent home of the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, the Texas Ballet Theater, the Fort Worth Opera, the Cliburn Concerts, and the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition, as well as special presentations by Casa Mañana. Bass Performance Hall in Fort Worth, Texas, also regularly hosts popular musical performers of all kinds.

525 Commerce St.
Fort Worth, Texas 76104
(817) 212-4200
(817) 212-4325

Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth

The Modern focuses on post World War II international modern and contemporary art, including paintings, sculpture, works on paper and international contemporary photography. The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth’s building was designed by the award-winning Japanese architect Tadao Ando.

3200 Darnell St. at University Dr.
Fort Worth, Texas 76107
(817) 738-9215
(866) 824-5566

Marty Leonard Community Chapel – Lena Pope Home

The world-famous E. Fay Jones described his Chapel design as an instrument for nature to play its music, and, by the way, the light and shadows move and change, he had turned it so that the music changes throughout the day and year. This architecturally significant building that reflects the influence of Jones’ study with Frank Lloyd Wright. Tours for all ages. Free.

3131 Sanquinet
Fort Worth, Texas 76107
(817) 255-2576
(817) 731-9858

Farmers Branch Historical Park

The Historical Park is nestled within 22 acres that trace the proud heritage of Farmers Branch, from the 1840s through the 1940s. The Gilbert House, built between 1856-1857, is the oldest rock structure in Dallas County still on its original foundation. Other local historic structures on the grounds include the 1937 Dodson House, home of the first Mayor of Farmers Branch; a one-room school that was once part of the Farmers Branch school from 1900-1915; and the original Farmers Branch railroad depot, built in 1877. Also features other structures from outside of Farmers Branch which has been moved to the park for preservation.

2540 Farmers Branch Lane
Farmers Branch, Texas 75234
(972) 406-0184

Kimbell Art Museum

A world-renowned collection of art from antiquity to the 20th century, including European masterpieces, Greek and Roman antiquities, and Egyptian, Near Eastern, Asian, Mesoamerican and African art.

3333 Camp Bowie Blvd.
Fort Worth, Texas 76107
(817) 332-8451

Nasher Sculpture Center

Nasher Sculpture Center is home to one of the finest collections of modern and contemporary sculpture in the world. The Center is located on a 2.4-acre site adjacent to the Dallas Museum of Art in the heart of the Dallas Arts District. Renzo Piano, a world-renowned architect and winner of the prestigious Pritzker Prize in 1998, is the architect of the Center’s 55,000 square foot building. Piano worked in collaboration with landscape architect Peter Walker on the design of the 1.4acre Garden.

2001 Flora St.
Dallas, Texas 75201
(214) 242-5100
(214) 242-5160

Tarrant County Courthouse

This is one of the architectural masterpieces of the city. It serves as the terminus of Main Street and it sits high on the bluff of the Trinity River. It was designed by Gunn and Curtiss Architects of Kansas City and it is a striking example of American Beaux-Arts Design. Probst & Co. from Chicago was the General Contractor. It was modeled after the Texas Capitol Building in Austin and uses pink granite. It was one of the first structural steel framed buildings built in the Southwestern United States. The courthouse is 194 feet in height.

100 E. Weatherford
Fort Worth, Texas

Dallas County Courthouse

Built in 1891, the Romanesque Revival design of MA Orlopp, is made of Pecos Red Sandstone and blue granite. This courthouse is well known as “Old Red” and currently houses the Dallas Visitors Information Center and the Old Red Museum of Dallas History.

100 S. Houston St
Dallas, Texas 75202
(214) 571-1000

Chautauqua Auditorium

One of the few octagonal auditoriums in America.

Grand Ave & W. Main
Waxahachie, Texas

Kalita Humphreys Theater

Home to the Dallas Theatre Center, Kalita Humphreys is the only theater in the U.S. designed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The monolithic concrete building was a combination of curved and angular forms typical of Wright’s late-period public projects. The vertical cylindrical forms of the four-and-a-half story building, encircled by horizontal cantilevered decks, presented a sculptural façade, both monumental and dynamic, within a wooded park setting. The entire building was based on a 60/120-degree equilateral parallelogram, such that there were no right angles. The unit-system organized not only the floor plan but also many of the details from the smallest design of the window shapes to the facetted columns and the built-in furniture.

3636 Turtle Creek Boulevard
Dallas, Texas 75219
(214) 522-8499

Amon Carter Museum

The Amon Carter Museum was established through the generosity of Amon G. Carter Sr. (1879 – 1955), to house his collection of paintings and sculpture by Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell; to collect, preserve, and exhibit the finest examples of American art; and to serve an educational role through exhibitions, publications, and programs devoted to the study of American art.

Designed by renowned and award-winning architect, Philip Johnson, the museum’s original architect, he also designed and completed the building’s most recent expansion in 2001.

3501 Camp Bowie Blvd.
Fort Worth, Texas 76107
(817) 738-1933

Fort Worth Water Gardens

The Water Gardens were designed by noted New York architects Philip Johnson and John Burgee and was dedicated to the City of Fort Worth by the Amon G. Carter Foundation. The park is frequently billed as a “cooling oasis in the concrete jungle” of downtown. Its focal points are three pools of water; the quiet meditation pool, the aerating pool which features multiple fountains and the active pool which has water cascading 38 feet (11 meters) down terraces and steps into a small pool at the bottom. It also has over 500 species of plants and trees throughout the park. Part of the film Logan’s Run was filmed in the active pool at the Water Gardens in 1976.

1502 Commerce St.
Fort Worth, Texas
(817) 871-5755

Thanks-Giving Square

The area was designed by famed architect Philip Johnson and was completed in 1976. The most prominent and recognizable feature of Thanks-Giving Square is the Chapel of Thanksgiving, a small, spiral tower that features an enclave for prayerful thanks. The entrance to the chapel is at the end of a 125-foot (38 m) bridge that runs over a cascading waterfall.

Inside the chapel, the spiral is topped with stained glass windows, leaving a flood of color when looking up in the chapel. Collectively, the stained glass, which was designed by Gabriel Loire of Chartres, France is called the Glory Window. It was designed to feature brighter colors as the spiral reached its apex, becoming brighter and brighter as it reached the center.

1627 Pacific Avenue
Dallas, Texas
(888) 305-1205

A.W. Perry Homestead Museum

1909 homestead features rentals and free tours.

1509 N. Perry Road
Carrollton, Texas
(972) 466-6380

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *